A political dispute over the future of emergency surgery at Causeway Hospital has intensified after the DUP accused UUP leader Jon Burrows of failing to use his influence to oppose the proposed service changes.
The Northern Health and Social Care Trust is considering transferring Causeway Hospital’s emergency general surgery service to Antrim Area Hospital. The decision rests with UUP Health Minister Mike Nesbitt.
The proposal would mean that surgery at the Coleraine hospital would become diagnostic and elective rather than emergency-led. The Trust has said it intends Causeway to become a “diagnostic hub for the entire north-west area”, while warning that maintaining emergency general surgery at both Causeway and Antrim is not sustainable over the long term.
What is being proposed at Causeway Hospital?
As well as the possible transfer of emergency general surgery, the 20-bed Ross Thomson Unit, which provides mental-healthcare services, is also being considered for relocation to Antrim.
If the Health Minister approves the Trust’s proposal, patients who require emergency surgery would be treated through Antrim Area Hospital rather than Causeway. The source material does not state when any transfer would take place or what arrangements would apply during implementation.
The proposals were discussed at a packed meeting in Coleraine Town Hall on Thursday. The meeting was chaired by Save Our Services Causeway Hospital, led by Gemma Brolly, together with the trade union Unison.
Mr Nesbitt was invited but could not attend because he was at a constituency election meeting in Strangford.
Burrows says he opposes the closure
Mr Burrows, who is also the North Antrim MLA, had previously told the meeting that the proposed removal of the emergency surgery service did not have his support. He said his earlier experience as a senior PSNI officer had given him an understanding of the importance of accessible emergency medical care.
“The recommendation of the Trust to close the emergency surgery in Causeway Hospital does not have my support,” Mr Burrows said.
“I do not agree with it and I will never agree with it. I can’t be any clearer than that.”
He also said he did not agree that major local services should be closed. However, the Belfast Telegraph report says he later appeared to suggest that, in his role as UUP leader, there was limited action he could take to influence the Health Minister.
DUP demands action from the UUP leader
DUP MLA Maurice Bradley, who had also expressed concern at the meeting, questioned whether Mr Burrows and Mr Nesbitt shared the same position.
Under the Stormont Executive arrangements described in the report, a party leader can appoint or remove a minister from their own party. Mr Bradley argued that this gave Mr Burrows political influence over the issue and asked why he had not discussed it with Mr Nesbitt.
“Jon Burrows stood before a packed meeting in Coleraine and emphatically declared that removing these services would not be done in his name and that he would not stand for it,”
Mr Bradley said. He then questioned whether Mr Burrows was adopting one position as a constituency representative while declining to use his authority as UUP leader.
“His admission that he has not even discussed the issue with Mike Nesbitt says it all.”
Mr Bradley said the public would question the purpose of political leadership if a party’s own minister proceeded with a decision that its leader had publicly rejected. He argued that ministers should provide democratic accountability for major public-service decisions rather than simply approve recommendations from officials or the Trust.
“The Causeway community has made its views abundantly clear. Jon Burrows says he agrees with them. The question now is what he intends to do about it.”
Mr Bradley added that, if Mr Burrows lacked confidence that Mr Nesbitt would make the right decision for Causeway, he should explain why the minister remained in post.
“Causeway needs action, not a UUP version of church and state.”
The UUP had been approached for comment at the time of publication. The final decision on the emergency general surgery proposal is to be made by Health Minister Mike Nesbitt.