Thousands of migrants remain stranded in the Spanish territory of Ceuta weeks after more than 72,000 people crossed from neighbouring Morocco, leaving local and national authorities struggling to provide shelter and determine how many people are still in the city.
The humanitarian crisis has continued after most of those who entered during the late-July border rush returned to Morocco. At least 90 people died during the initial crossing, while others stayed hidden in woods, on beaches or near a migrant reception centre after deciding they had little chance of reaching mainland Europe.
Ceuta city officials estimate that between 9,000 and 10,000 migrants could remain in the territory, including about 2,000 minors. Their estimate is based on the number of daily food rations distributed by aid organisations. Spain’s interior ministry has put the figure at approximately 5,000.
Beach camp cleared as migrants search for supplies
For weeks, migrants had slept on cardboard, under makeshift reed shelters and beside their limited belongings on a beach away from Ceuta’s centre. Spanish police escorted them to temporary shelters on Thursday morning.
An hour later, other migrants were searching through the abandoned rubbish for practical items, including a mattress, plastic chairs, sheets and pieces of tarpaulin. An Associated Press photographer later saw migrants still moving through the city, while hundreds of women and children were sheltering in temporary centres operated by local residents.
The UN refugee agency has warned of major humanitarian and operational difficulties, particularly involving accommodation, food and access to basic services. It has urged Spain to begin processing asylum applications as soon as possible. The agency estimates that around 1,200 people in Ceuta may qualify for international protection.
Although most arrivals were Moroccan, people from war-affected Sudan, Mali and Yemen also crossed into the Spanish exclave, according to the agency.
Spain seeks accommodation while cases are assessed
Spain’s government says it is working to house those who remain and restore normality to Ceuta, a city with a population of 84,000. On Thursday, Inclusion, Social Security and Migration Minister Elma Saiz said space had been secured for 1,800 migrants in a car park and a military facility sometimes used for religious events. Officials were continuing to look for additional accommodation.
The migration ministry has allocated €6.5 million (£5.6 million) in emergency funding to help Ceuta manage the arrivals. Ms Saiz also said that 4,000 meals had been distributed each day since August 3.
However, the government says each case must be handled individually. Police must identify people who entered illegally, verify their nationality and background, decide who may qualify for international protection and establish who must leave voluntarily or through enforced removal.
Uncertainty over asylum and onward travel
Migrants have staged protests while waiting for decisions, including a beach demonstration where people carried signs reading “Asylum” alongside Spanish flags.
Khadija Rifai, a 20-year-old Moroccan woman, said she and her husband swam to Ceuta in late July seeking better opportunities and healthcare. Her husband was returned to Morocco, while she remained after hiding from authorities. She said she hoped to reunite with him and eventually travel to mainland Spain.
“They help the minors and the youngsters, but they haven’t found any solutions for us,” she said.
Mohamed Yaqoub, an 18-year-old from Chad, said he hid in the woods for days after Spanish soldiers pursued him in late July. He hopes to study in France, but leaving Ceuta for mainland Europe may prove difficult. People departing Ceuta and Spain’s other North African territory, Melilla, face checks at ports and airports, creating an obstacle for those who entered illegally and want to continue their journey.
“We ask them to allow us entry and give us the necessary papers and documents,” Yaqoub said. “The most important thing for us is to get the papers.”
Ceuta mayor Juan Jesus Vivas has accused the national government, led by Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, of failing to do enough. After police moved several hundred mostly male migrants from the beach to shelters, Mr Vivas said the decision did not show “a will to fix the problem”.
The government’s next steps are to expand temporary accommodation, complete identification and background checks, and assess asylum claims before deciding whether individual migrants can remain in Spain or must leave.