Thousands of people gathered in Belfast city centre on Saturday, 22 August, as the annual Mela festival began with a colourful parade, marking the start of a nine-day celebration of culture, music, food and dance.

The procession began at Writer’s Square at 4.01pm before travelling along Royal Avenue and continuing to Donegall Place. It was followed by pop-up stalls and performances in the Cathedral Quarter, where the city centre was transformed into what organisers described as a global village.

A week of international culture

The Belfast Mela cultural diversity carnival is celebrating its 20th anniversary this weekend. The festival programme includes food and arts displays representing south Asia, the Middle East, Africa and other parts of the world.

Several further events are planned throughout the coming week, with the celebrations due to culminate in Mela Day at Botanic Park on Sunday, 30 August.

Organisers said more than 70,000 people attended last year’s event, while huge numbers are expected to take part in this year’s festival.

Festival reflects Belfast’s changing identity

At a launch event earlier this month, singer-songwriter Siobhan Brown, also known as Manukahunney, reflected on how the festival has developed since it began two decades ago.

“I remember when Mela was in the Ulster Hall,” she said.

Brown said she was delighted to see the event grow into the festival it is today at Botanic Park, describing its development as a sign of Belfast’s changing cultural identity.

“To see Mela become the amazing festival that it is now in Botanic Park is wonderful. It represents growth and inclusion, and that’s what Belfast is all about.”

She also spoke about the appeal of the festival’s music and cultural experiences, and said that bringing different communities together was important to the progress of a city.

“I love hearing the music, experiencing the culture and seeing the joys it brings. Every great city progresses by bringing different cultures. If that wasn’t happening, I would be concerned.”

The Belfast Telegraph reported from the opening day, with photographs showing the parade making its way through the city centre. The festival is a Belfast event rather than an Armagh event, so Armagh residents planning to attend should check the organiser’s latest programme and travel information before making the journey.